This healthy no sugar date-sweetened cake has no sugar and no wheat, so it is basically gluten-free and sugar-free! This is a very nourishing and filling cake. Not soggy, not very moist but not very dry either. I like it with raw milk or hot herbal tea. Or a cup of coffee!
The recipe includes 2 toppings, they are optional. Without toppings, it is a pie, with toppings it is a cake. Both are good!
Gluten-free Date Cake Ingredients
Dates. I used Medjool dates. They are soft and large.
Milk. I used grass-fed milk in this date cake. You can use any type of milk, like almond milk or coconut milk.
Sprouted or soaked Oat flour. I make my own using my grain mill. First, I soak the whole oat groats in warm water with little apple cider vinegar. After 24 hours, I rinse the soaked oats and start the sprouting process by covering the jars with breathable mesh lids and putting them upside down on a wire rack. I rinse the oats 2-3 times a day for about 2 days until I see tiny sprouts. Then I rinse them well and dehydrate in my dehydrator making them ready to make a flour when needed. I use a grain mill to make a flour.
Almond meal. I grind whole soaked and dehydrated crispy organic almonds in a coffee grinder to make an almond meal. Soaking and dehydrating is needed to reduce the phytic acid content in almonds and to increase the mineral absorption.
No sugar Date-sweetened Cake
You will need:
- 6 Medjool Dates (pitted & chopped)
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 Milk or Nut Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract, Vanilla paste or 1/2 tsp Vanilla powder
- 1 cup Sprouted or Soaked Oat Flour
- 1/2 cup Almond meal (ground whole almonds)*
- 1 tsp baking soda & 1 tsp Apple cider Vinegar mixture
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Celtic Sea salt
- 3 Medjool Dates
- 1/4 cup filtered Water
- 1/2 cup chopped Crispy Walnuts or Pecans
- 1/2 cup Almond meal
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
Optional Topping #2:**
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream or Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp Raw Honey
* Crispy almonds are soaked and dehydrated whole almonds. Almond meal here is ground whole almonds. Do not use regular almond flour.
**There is no topping #2 in the picture, only a thin layer of honey instead. It will definitely taste better with the cream, but tastes good without it too.
How to make a healthy no sugar date-sweetened cake:
1. Blend 6 dates, milk, eggs, cinnamon, sea salt, and vanilla in a blender.
2. Add almond meal. Blend.
3. Add baking soda and vinegar mixture. Stir. I poured the batter into another bowl just making it easier to mix in the flour. You can mix everything in a blender.
4. Add sprouted oat flour. Mix.
5. Grease 9” pan with coconut oil, butter or ghee. Pour the batter into the greased pan. Set aside.
6. Make topping #1 by blending 3 dates and 1/4 cup water in a blender. Mix in chopped nuts, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 cup almond meal.
7. Layer the topping #1 on the oat batter evenly.
8. Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 40 minutes. Prick the center of the pie with a knife or toothbrush. If it comes out clean (not wet) then the pie is cooked through.
9. Make optional topping #2 by whipping the cream with raw honey. Top a cooled pie with topping #2. I did not use topping #2, just covered with thin layer of honey, which is also optional.
10. Date cake is ready! Keep in the fridge. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or milk. I love it with a cup of raw milk. Yum yum!
Want more healthy cake recipes?