Accidents happen! When you get a burn whether it is a kitchen accident or another incident it is VERY important to act quickly. If the burn is severe seek a medical help as soon as possible. Be prepared beforehand.
#1 Very First Aid for Burns
- When you have a kitchen accident and burn your finger or any part of your body, hold the affected area in a very cold water for at least 15 minutes. This will help heal better and quicker. After that, dry the area and apply the burn salve or other options listed below. Re-apply as needed for several times a day. If the burn is severe seek a medical help as soon as possible.
- Always keep a bag of flour in your refrigerator. Stick your finger or the affected part of your body to the cold flour right out of the fridge for at least 15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry gently. After that apply a burn salve to the affected area. If the burn is severe seek a medical help as soon as possible.
#2 Healing Burn Salve Recipe
Recipe courtesy of Mary Thibodeau “Herbal Medicine First Aid Kit”.
The homemade DIY burn salve soothes, heals, promotes cell regeneration, and protects the burned area from bacteria.*
This Burn salve is especially good for kitchen accidents and sunburns.
Healing Burn Salve
- 1 part of Saint John’s Wort and Plantain herbs
- 2 parts of extra virgin Olive oil
Take 1 part of St.John’s Wort and Plantain, add 2 parts olive oil. Warm the herb in oil on stove top making it as hot as possible without boiling and without any simmer for about 20 minutes. It is very important not to boil the oil to preserve medicinal qualities of herbs. Strain the herbs through cheesecloth or unbleached coffee filter. Store the infused oil in a glass jar in the fridge.
- 5 parts St.John’s Wort & Plantain infused Olive Oil
- 1 part Beeswax
- 5-15 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 drops Vitamin E oil
- Melt the beeswax in a double boiler and add herb-infused olive oil. Warm until melted and incorporated together.
- Pour into sterile jars or containers.
- Add Lavender essential oil and vitamin E oil. Mix with a toothpick. Let cool. Cover with lids.
#3 Lavender essential oil for a burn
Apply lavender essential oil directly to the burn area when you have no salve on hand. It is good for burns, cuts, itchiness, pain, and a lot more. The lavender oil can be applied to skin undiluted. It cleanses, heals, and calms the wound.
#4 Sea buckthorn Seed Oil (Hippophae seed oil)
Sea buckthorn seed oil is very effective in treating burns. It gives a pain relief, promotes blood circulation, removes blood stasis, anti-inflammatory, reduces scarring chances, and promotes the tissue regeneration.
Sea buckthorn seed oil is good for sunburns, burns by boiling water (scalds), gas burning, I degree burns, and light degree II burns (study source).
The oil needs to be applied to burnt area several times a day for healing results.
There are two kinds of Sea buckthorn oil from which one is obtained from seeds and the second is not. You will need Sea Buckthorn Seed oil, not another one.
#5 Pak Chow Medicinal Oil (Chicken and Duck Oil)
This oil is also referred as Chicken or Duck Oil, but not made from chickens or ducks at all. It is made of Chinese herbs and it is very effective for treating burns, reducing pains from burns, reducing the scarring chances.
#6 Herbal Healing Salve
The herbs in this Herbal Healing salve promote healing to the skin. Good for wounds, burns, bug bites, dry skin, itching & rashes including diaper rash & hemorrhoids. Contains mostly organic ingredients and wild-harvested herbs.
#7 Magic All-purpose Healing Cream
This Magic Healing Cream is made of nature’s most powerful healing ingredients: Olive oil (olea europaea oil), beeswax, honey, pollen, royal jelly and propolis extract.
The formula was created thousands of years ago in the land of Pharaohs. This cream is popular among celebrities, fashion industry, and even doctors and hospitals.
#8 Extra-virgin Coconut oil
Extra-virgin Coconut oil promotes and speeds up healing of the skin with minor burns.
First, immediately soak the affected area in a cold water for 10-15 minutes. Dry and apply coconut oil. You can put a coconut oil bandage changing it several times a day.
Coconut oil is very effective for sunburns. Apply several times a day to the affected area.
“Nature’s way” extra-virgin coconut oil is my favorite. I have tried lots of coconut oils and I always come back to this one for topical use or as a supplement. It smells good, the consistency is very smooth and tastes amazing. “Kirkman” extra-virgin coconut oil has very similar qualities.