How to make soft cottage cheese at home? It takes about 5 minutes to make this cottage cheese with tender curds! In Uzbekistan, we use this kind of cottage cheese in many recipes. I couldn’t find it in stores, so I had to learn how to make it myself.
You can easily make cottage cheese on the stovetop or in Instant Pot. I make it using Instant Pot using the “Yogurt” function. I like this function because I don’t have to watch the milk waiting for it to boil so it doesn’t run away from the pot resulting in a big mess on the stovetop.
How do you make it? So, you basically boil the milk and add buttermilk constantly stirring. You will get curds and whey as a result.
The strained curds are the cottage cheese. You can discard the whey or use it in other recipes. I usually make thin crepes using the whey instead of discarding, and then stuff those crepes with cottage cheese and honey. Yum!!!
I hate to discard the whey so I add a small amount of apple cider vinegar to the whey so it doesn’t go bad if I’m going to store it in the fridge.
SOFT COTTAGE CHEESE! How to Make Soft Cottage Cheese at Home
- 1 gallon of Cow’s Milk (raw or pasteurized will work)
- 0.5 gallon of Buttermilk or Sour Milk or Cultured milk
How to make soft cottage cheese at home:
- Boil the milk. Turn off the heat. If using IP (Instant Pot) press the “Yogurt” function and then press “more” to switch to the “Boil” mode.
- While the milk is still super hot right after being boiled, slowly add buttermilk constantly mixing. Do not stop stirring. After about 5 minutes you will start seeing big curds and when separated.
- When the curds and whey separate, let cool. Strain after it cools using a nut milk bag.
- Store your soft homemade cottage cheese in the refrigerator.