How to make soft cottage cheese at home? It takes about 5 minutes to make this cottage cheese with tender curds! In Uzbekistan, we use this kind of cottage cheese in many recipes. I couldn’t find it in stores, so I had to learn how to make it myself. You can easily make cottage cheese on the stovetop or using an Instant Pot cooker.
You can watch the video recipe HERE.
How do you make it? You boil the milk and add buttermilk constantly stirring. You will get curds and whey as a result.
Those strained curds are called cottage cheese or farmer’s cheese, we call it “tvorog”. You can discard the whey or use it in other recipes. I usually make thin crepes using the whey instead of discarding, and then stuff those crepes with cottage cheese and honey. Yum!!!
I hate to discard the whey, so I add a small amount of apple cider vinegar to the whey, so it doesn’t go bad then I store it in the fridge until I need it n recipes.
SOFT COTTAGE CHEESE! How to Make Soft Cottage Cheese at Home
- 1 gallon of Cow’s Milk (raw or pasteurized will work)
- 0.5 gallon of Buttermilk or Sour Milk or Cultured milk
How to make soft cottage cheese at home:
- Boil the milk. Turn off the heat. If using IP (Instant Pot) press the “Yogurt” function and then press “more” to switch to the “Boil” mode.
- While the milk is still super-hot right after being boiled, slowly add buttermilk constantly mixing. Do not stop stirring. After about 5 minutes you will start seeing big curds.
- When the curds and whey separate, let cool. Strain after it cools using a nut milk bag.
- Store your soft homemade cottage cheese in the refrigerator.