Chai-spiced healthy breakfast quinoa porridge with berries is super healthy and creamy breakfast quinoa topped with berries and drizzled with honey. I make it using soaked quinoa to reduce the anti-nutrients present in grains. Soaking increases the bioavailability of the grain. You can make it on the stovetop or you can use a slow-cooker. I used Instant Pot to make my breakfast quinoa porridge.
You can also take a look at another great recipe of Soaked Oatmeal Porridge which is made using soaked oatmeal.
Chai-Spiced Healthy Breakfast Quinoa Porridge with Berries
- 2 cups Quinoa
- 5 cups Filtered water
- 1/4 cup of Maple syrup or Honey
- 2-3 Tbsp Butter or Coconut oil or Butter
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Full-fat Coconut milk or Half-and-Half
- 2 cups Berries
- Honey for drizzling
How to make healthy soaked quinoa porridge:
- Soak quinoa for 24-36 hours at room temperature. Pour enough filtered water over 2 cups of quinoa and add 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. After 24-36 hours wash and rinse it really well. Not rinsing may make the grains taste bitter (which never happened to me so far). Rinse at least 3 times. Soaking will increase the bioavailability, but if you wish you can proceed without soaking.
- Place rinsed quinoa in a pot. Add 5 cups of filtered water, 1/4 cup of maple syrup or honey, coconut oil or butter, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- Secure the lid on the pot, open the pressure-release valve.
- Select “Slow Cook” and adjust the cooking time by pressing “More”. Cook for 2-3 hours, or until grains are tender. Press “Cancel”.
- Stir in Coconut milk and 1 cup of berries. Top each serving with the remaining berries and drizzle with honey for your taste.
Recipe courtesy of “Instant Pot Miracle” (I modified the recipe adding the soaking step).