Olivier salad is a traditional Russian salad, which is extremely popular. Olivier salad contains canned green peas, boiled potatoes, carrots, boiled eggs, pickles, sausage, and mayonnaise.
I use homemade mayo for this salad. It’s okay to use store-bought mayo as it won’t change the flavor of the salad, however, if you want it to be healthier then you can make it yourself using healthier oils like cold-pressed flaxseed oil or MCT oil. I wouldn’t use cold-pressed olive oil for my mayo, as it turns bitter and will ruin the salad.
I also swap sausage with boiled or broiled chicken. You can use any kind of meat, including boiled beef.
I usually eyeball the ingredients, so the amount doesn’t have to be precise.
Olivier Salad Recipe
- 5 Potatoes – medium-sized;
- 2 Carrots – medium-sized;
- 5 Eggs
- Cucumber pickles – 3 pcs (medium-sized)
- Canned Green Peas – 200 gr
- Mayonnaise – 4-5 Tablespoons
- Boiled or broiled chicken meat – 300 gr
- Salt, black pepper
- Cilantro leaves (optional)
How to make Olivier salad:
- Boil the potatoes and carrots until soft. Boil the eggs.
- Prepare mayonnaise, if making it yourself.
- Peel the boiled potatoes and carrots. Chop them into cubes (1cm x 1cm).
- Peel the eggs. Chop them into cubes.
- Chop the meat. Cube the pickles. Chop the cilantro leaves.
- Drain the canned peas. Place in a big mixing bowl. Add cubed potatoes, carrots, eggs, pickles, and meat.
- Add mayonnaise and cilantro leaves. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Mix everything. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.