Consuming too much sugar leads to mineral deficiencies and other disbalances in a body. Most of us know this, but sometimes get confused about the right sweetener choices.
Even natural sweeteners should not be consumed a lot. Even natural fruits can cause a tooth decay if consumed too much, according to Ramiel Nagel, the author of “Cure Tooth Decay” book.
Here is the list of safe and unsafe sweeteners.
The below sweeteners are Okay to be consumed in moderation if there is no active tooth decay. If teeth are painful, decayed and sensitive, Dr. Ramiel Nagel suggests avoiding even the natural sweeteners until the problem resolves.
Safe natural sweeteners:
- Unheated Raw Honey. It is a great sweetener, but should not be used for cooking. Raw unheated honey is not just a sweetener, it is a super food. Still, it needs to be consumed in moderation too. Choose raw, local, unheated honey. Darker is better. Manuka honey and Buckwheat honey are best.
- Maple Syrup. Choose grade B organic maple syrup without formaldehyde residues. Maple syrup can be used in cooking. Grade B is the less processed than Grade A maple syrup.
- Pure Cane Juice. If you extract cane juice from a sugar cane, that is a safe form of sugar. The dehydrated juice of a cane sugar with all minerals intact is safe also. Real cane sugar can be used in cooking. Some commercial wholesome cane sugar brands: Rapunzel’s Rapadura sugar, Heavenly Organics Sugar.
- Stevia herb. Dried and powdered stevia herb can be used in moderation. However, stevia extracts and stevia in glycerin are not safe. Choose the dried herb if you want to use Stevia.
- Raw Coconut Nectar. It has molasses taste.
- Dates. Soak Medjool dates in hot water until soft and blend in a food processor to make a paste. It should be of peanut butter consistency. Use the date paste in recipes.
- Coconut Sugar. To make a confectioner’s sugar substitute, add 1 Tablespoon of arrowroot powder to 1 cup of coconut sugar, and blend until powdery and smooth.
- Banana Puree. For every cup of refined sugar called for in a recipe, use 1 cup of pureed bananas.
- Blackstrap Molasses. It is good in porridges, marinades, and baking.
- Balsamic glaze. It is great to use over raw cheese, berries, grilled meat, and fish. To make balsamic glaze, simmer two cups of balsamic vinegar for 15-30 minutes until it’s reduced to one-half cup.
- Real Fruit Jam. To make a fruit jam, take 4 cups of favorite fruit and mix it with 1/2 cup of water, simmer until the mass starts to thicken. Puree in a blender and use immediately.
Unhealthy sweeteners according to Dr.Ramiel Nagel:
- White Sugar
- Evaporated Cane Juice
- Brown Sugar. It is simply a refined sugar mixed with some molasses.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Corn Sugar
- Corn Syrup
- Agave Nectar
- Glycerin. It seems toxic when taken internally, but can be used for other purposes. Not good for eating.
- Malted Barley Syrup
- Malted Corn Syrup
- Malted Grain Sweeteners
- Brown Rice Syrup. Dr.Axe includes this sweetener to safe ones, but Dr.Ramiel Nagel expressed a concern. So it is in a non-safe list to be on a safe side.
- Sugar Isolates
Ramiel Nagel “Cure Tooth Decay”
Photo source: myuctv.tv