Are you struggling to get your kids to take their daily dose of fermented cod liver oil? If so, this easy recipe for homemade fermented cod liver oil gummies is for you. Made with fresh orange juice, grass-fed gelatin, raw honey, lecithin powder, and fermented cod liver oil blend, these gummies are a tasty way to get the health benefits of this nutrient-rich supplement.
This fermented cod liver oil gummies recipe is my second attempt at making gummies using cod liver oil. The first version required a separate FCLO and butter oil, but this one uses a fermented cod liver oil blend. Although the difference is small, my gummies turned out slightly different this time. I also used lecithin powder instead of a liquid capsule.
If your children dislike taking their cod liver oil, making gummies with cod liver oil might be the solution. However, keep in mind that the gummies will still smell like cod liver oil. If your child smells his food before eating, the gummy trick may not work. Every child is different, so it’s worth trying to see if this approach works for you. If you use a different type of cod liver oil, there may be no smell to it.
Another recipe for making fermented cod liver oil gummies uses FCLO and butter oil separately. You can find that recipe here: “Fermented Cod Liver Oil Gummies with Butter Oil.”
This recipe uses FCLO blend. Three tablespoons of FCLO equals 36 of 1/4 tsp OR 18 of 1/2 tsp. The recommended serving size is 1/4-1/2 tsp of FCLO per day.
Using this silicone mold, the recipe makes 26 gummies. Each gummy will contain more than 1/4 tsp and less than 1/2 tsp of FCLO. Depending on your needs, one gummy a day will work for most. Since cod liver oil is considered food, overdose is not an issue.
Make these fermented cod liver oil gummies for your kids and see if they like it. Don’t forget to share your feedback!
Homemade Fermented Cod Liver Oil Gummies Recipe (Version II)
- 1/3 cup of fresh Orange Juice
- 2 Tbsp of Grass-fed Gelatin (I used this, but next time will try this)
- 2 Tbsp of Raw Honey (optional) (I used this, but this one tastes better. Choose local, if possible)
- 1 Tbsp of Lecithin Powder or 1 capsule of liquid Lecithin (squeezed out)
- 3 Tbsp of Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend (Cinnamon Tingle)
- Silicone Mold
- Pour the orange juice into a glass jar. Place the jar in a pot filled with water. Make sure the water does not come into contact with the juice.
- Place the pot on a medium heat.
- Add gelatin to the juice. Mix periodically until melted.
- Add lecithin to the mixture. Mix.
- Prepare the mold until the mixture melts and incorporates. Wash and dry your silicone mold. You can grease the mold, for any case, to make the gummies easier to pop out.
- When everything melts and incorporates, turn off the fire.
- Make sure the mixture is warm before adding the honey and FCLO (Fermented cod liver oil) butter oil blend.
- Add 2 Tbsp of honey, mix.
- Add 3 Tbsp of FCLO. Mix until incorporates.
- Pour the mixture into the mold.
- Place the filled mold into a fridge until gummies harden. About 20-30 minutes.
- Count the gummies. Divide the number by 3 Tbsp of FCLO. The serving size is 1/4-1/2 tsp of FCLO a day. I got 26 gummies using my silicone mold. It means, in my case, 1 gummy will contain about 1/4-1/2 tsp of FCLO, so the serving size will be about one gummy a day.
- Keep the gummies in the fridge in a covered glass container.