I have an Instant Pot Duo Crisp, which does not have a “Yogurt” button. I had a separate Instant Pot Duo just for making yogurt. However, one day it started acting funny by randomly switching it on by itself or changing the settings (and ruining my yogurt overnight).
Instead of replacing my IP Duo, I decided to use IP Duo Crisp to make my yogurt. I had to figure out how. To my surprise, I discovered that I could make an even better yogurt in Instant Pot Duo Crisp using its Sous Vide function. It turned out much better than a built-in Yogurt function.
The Sous Vide function lets you set any temperature you want, and any amount of time you need making it perfect for making homemade yogurt.
HOW TO MAKE YOGURT in Instant Pot Without “Yogurt” Button
- 0.5-gallon Milk (I used Raw grass-fed milk, pasteurized will work too)
- 2-3 Tablespoons Yogurt starter (I use store-bought Organic plain yogurt or yogurt from the previous batch as a starter)
How to make yogurt in Instant Pot without the Yogurt button:
- Pour the milk into the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Cover the lid, press the venting button so it’s in the “Venting” position.
- Press “Keep warm” and set the time to 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, press “Sauté”, set the temperature to “low”, set the timer to 15 minutes.
- Let cool until milk is 110F degrees, then add the yogurt starter. Stir. Cover the lid, press on the venting button so it’s in the “Venting” position. I usually don’t open the lid and let the milk cool overnight, then add my starter in the morning.
- Press the “Sous Vide” button. Set the temperature to 112F and set the time to 8 hours.
- After 8 hours you can strain the yogurt to get a thick Greek Yogurt or just consume as is.
- Keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Note: When I want my yogurt to be as smooth as store-bought, I add some creamy milk to my strained homemade yogurt and mix them in a food processor until smooth.