How to make yummy and healthy almond flour chocolate chip cookies?
This is one of the easiest recipes that you can hardly fail. These almond cookies are gluten-free, nutritious, filling, nourishing, and very delicious!
Before I begin let me make some notes about the ingredients.
Almonds. I soak almonds in salty water for 24 hours and dehydrate them in my dehydrator or in the oven. I do this to reduce the phytic acid (anti-nutrient) and to increase the nutritional value of almonds (and other nuts and seeds). Then I store them in airtight containers in the fridge. For this cookies, I roast some soaked and dehydrated almonds and then grind them in my coffee grinder to make a flour. It may turn into an almond butter if you overdo the grinding. So be careful. Store bought almond meal will not work for this recipe – the cookies may turn very dry.
Dark chocolate. Use any quality dark chocolate you love and chop them for this recipe. You can use cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips instead.
Coconut oil. I use extra virgin coconut oil. It can be substituted with butter. If you choose butter then grass-fed butter is the best for its superior nutritional content.
Vanilla extract can be substituted with 1/4 teaspoons of vanilla paste.
Baking pan. It is better to avoid direct contact of the cookies with the aluminum surface. This is because aluminum is not healthy and it may leach into your cookies while baking. If your pan is made of aluminum you can use unbleached parchment paper to cover it instead of just greasing the pan. I used a stainless steel pan and greased it with coconut oil.
Eggs. Pasture-fed eggs have better nutritional value than regular ones. Such eggs usually have darks yolks, not pale yellow.
Easy Almond Flour Chocolate chip Cookies with Coconut & Dark Chocolate (Wheat-free, Gluten-free)
- 1 1/4 cups of Ground Almonds (grind whole almonds and make a flour)
- 1/4 cups of chopped Dark Chocolate
- 1/2 cups of Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 teaspoons of Baking Soda
- 1/3 cups of Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons of Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of melted Coconut Oil
- 1/2 teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
- 1 large Egg
1. Mix the almond flour, chopped dark chocolate, shredded coconut, coconut sugar and sea salt.
2. In a separate bowl mix the egg, coconut oil, and the vanilla extract.
3. In a big spoon mix the baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Add the baking soda and apple cider vinegar mixture to the egg mixture. Mix.
4. Mix the dry and liquid ingredients together. Stir well.
5. Cover the dough and put in the fridge for at least 40 minutes. Overnight is best.
6. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
7. Grease the baking pan or use the unbleached parchment paper to cover it.
8. Make 1” balls from the dough. Place them on the pan with 4 cm distance between each.
9. Lightly press the balls with your palm.
10. Bake in the preheated oven for about 7-10 minutes.
11. Take out from the oven and let them cool.
You can find Almond Flour Chocolate chip Cookies recipe for printing below.