This was one of my favorite childhood foods. I loved cabbage rolls stuffed with meat and rice. I still do. Delicious!
Cabbage rolls or Dolma with Minced Meat and Rice
- 1 medium sized Cabbage
- 500 gr Minced Meat
- 250 gr Onions
- 100 gr short-grain Rice
- 100 gr Carrots
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Curry powder
- Sea Salt
- Gently separate the cabbage leaves.
2. Boil them in a large pot of water for about 2 minutes until soft. You can boil the whole cabbage removing the upper leaves as they soften. If you choose the second method, remove the cabbage base first.
3. Chop the onions.
4. Grate the carrot on a fine grater.
5. Chop the lard.
6. Mix the onions, minced meat and rice.
7. Add the spices.
8. Put some of the stuffing on a cabbage leaf.
9. Wrap the bottom edge.
10. Wrap the side edges.
11. Wrap the top edge.
12. The cabbage roll is ready.
13. Put the rolls in a pot.
14. Cover the rolls with water. Bring to boil and add 1/2 tsp of sea salt to the water.
15. Cover the pot. Lower the fire to the lowest setting. Cook for 30 minutes.
16. Serve with sour cream, yogurt, kefir, homemade ketchup, green salad or just tomatoes.