Crepes, also known as blinchiki, are a favorite food among the Russian population. While there are many different recipes for making crepes, in my experience, they all have a similar, delicious taste. If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to make crepes without eggs (or blinchiki with no eggs), this recipe is for you. Not only is it easy to follow, but it also produces delicious crepes that are perfect for any occasion.
CREPES WITHOUT EGGS (Blinchiki with No Eggs)
- 1 1/4 cup Milk (I used raw grass-fed milk; any nut milk should work too)
- 1 1/2 cup Organic All-purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Hot boiling water
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil (I used Avocado oil) or melted Butter/Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1 pinch Baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate)
- 1 Tbsp Maple syrup (I use Member’s mark Maple syrup, which is dark and has a rich taste)
- Melted Butter/Ghee – for spreading on cooked crepes (I used Kerrygold grass-fed butter)
How to make crepes without eggs:
- Start by sifting the flour into a large mixing bowl. This step enriches the flour with oxygen, giving your crepes a light and fluffy texture.
- Add salt to the flour and mix.
- Pour milk over the flour and mix with a whisk until smooth.
- Boil water and pour it into a heat-resistant measuring cup. You’ll need 3/4 cup of boiling water.
- Add baking soda to the hot water and mix.
- Pour the water over the milk mixture and mix with a whisk.
- Add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, or any sweetener of your choice.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil. You can use vegetable oil such as avocado oil or melted butter.
- Let the batter rest for at least 10 minutes on the countertop. Alternatively, you can leave the batter in the fridge overnight and cook it in the morning.
- To cook your crepes perfectly, preheat your skillet on medium heat. Then, pour 1 teaspoon of oil and spread it evenly on the bottom of the skillet. Next, pour enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan and lift the skillet to spread the batter evenly to form a round crepe. Cook until the bottom turns slightly brown, then flip it over to cook the other side until it becomes light brown. This cooking method ensures that your crepes will be evenly cooked and delicious.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium or adjust the temperature so that the crepes don’t burn while cooking. Pour batter and spread it on the bottom of the skillet to form a round shape. Let it cook until the bottom browns slightly. Flip it to the other side and cook until light brown.
- Repeat the process until the batter finishes.
- Put some melted butter on each crepe by spreading it all over the surface with a brush. You can stuff the crepes with your favorite filling such as honey, cream, cottage cheese, or enjoy them plain.
Try this easy crepe recipe today and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills!
Check out other Crepe Recipes: