If you are trying to avoid refined sugar in your baking, then this sugar-free date cake recipe is for you. This blueberry coffee cake contains no sugar and it’s sweetened by dates only. If you are using the frosting, then you will be using dates and honey as a sweetener in this date cake recipe.
This blueberry coffee cake does not contain any coffee. It’s called a coffee cake because it pairs well with coffee.
I used a whipping cream frosting with this cake but it is very optional, as the cake is delicious without any frosting. If you are not using a frosting, you can spread the cake with some honey which is optional too.
BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE – Sugar-free Date Cake
- 6 large Organic Medjool dates
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Milk or Nut milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Sprouted Spelt Flour (or Organic All-purpose Flour)
- 1/2 cup Organic Almond meal (ground whole almonds)
- 3 tsp Baking powder (I used 2 tsp Cream of Tartar & 1 tsp Baking soda)
- 1 tsp Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- 8 – 12 oz frozen Blueberries (I used frozen wild blueberries from Costco)
Frosting (very optional):
- Whipping cream (raw grass-fed or at least not homogenized) – 2 cups
- Honey – 3-4 Tbsp
- Chopped Walnuts – 1/2 cup
How to make the sugar-free blueberry coffee cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Blend dates and milk in a blender.
- Add eggs, cinnamon, sea salt, and vanilla to the blender.
- Add almond meal and blend again.
- Pour the batter into a bigger bowl.
- Add baking powder and mix well.
- Add the flour. Mix well until smooth.
- Add frozen blueberries and gently fold in. The batter is ready.
- Pour the batter into a cake mold. you can use an unbleached parchment paper or you can simply grease the pan before pouring the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 40-50 minutes. Let cool.
- Prepare the frosting, if using. Blend the whipping cream with honey using a mixer.
- Cut the cake into two parts and layer with frosting. Make sure your cake cooled down before you spread the frosting.
- Roast the walnuts in a skillet. Let cool.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with roasted walnuts. (I mixed walnuts with almond meal and cinnamon as you can see in the picture, but next time I will ONLY use walnuts)
- Put the cake into the fridge for at least two hours or overnight.
- Cut and enjoy with coffee.
This date cake tastes even better after a day or so. Store it in an airtight container with a lid in a refrigerator.
Check out similar recipes: Healthy Cakes