This homemade toothpaste is my and my children’s favorite! It has a smooth texture, pleasant refreshing taste. It is free from glycerin, flouride, SLS, and other toxic ingredients too! This DIY toothpaste contains only natural ingredients which help with teeth remineralization.
Most toothpastes that are promoted as healthy, surprisingly contain glycerin. Glycerin is not toxic by itself, but it is not a good idea to put it on teeth. Glycerin creates a film on teeth and may prevent teeth remineralization. It takes about 27 rinses to remove it from teeth.
This homemade toothpaste can be a great substitute to Earthpaste toothpaste. Earthpaste was enjoyed by all of my family members, but I was not sure about the safety of the plastic tube which was in contact with the clay paste. I wanted my clay paste in a glass to have a total peace of mind.
So I finally made my homemade paste and loved the results. I also loved that I could change the flavors and could add some extra ingredients as I wish. My homemade clay paste was enjoyed by my kids and other adults which was a big hit.
Also, I saved some bucks in the long term by making my own toothpaste. Win-win situation!
About the ingredients in this Homemade Toothpaste
Calcium bentonite clay has detoxifying and very mild abrasive properties. It absorbs toxins and gently polishes teeth when used in oral care. Some people had experienced teeth remineralization with the help of calcium bentonite clay, however it is not proven by science yet.
Bentonite clay should not come into contact with metals (except non-reactive stainless steel) and plastic when mixed with water. Use only glass, wood, ceramics or quality stainless steel when working with clays.
Bentonite clay based toothpastes are safe to swallow and it is good for digestive tract too. It makes this bentonite clay based toothpaste perfect for children too.
Use filtered or distilled water. Boil the water and let cool.
Xylitol or Stevia
Xylitol and stevia are both used for it’s sweetening properties in this toothpastes and they do not cause cavities. Xylitol has a sweet taste AND cavity fighting properties making it a great to use in oral care products.
Sea salt is used for taste and added minerals.
Trace Minerals help with teeth remineralization. Optional.
Menthol is added for extra refreshing properties and it is completely optional ingredient.
Homemade Toothpaste Recipe
(Makes about 3 oz)
- 4 Tbsp of Calcium bentonite clay
- 8 Tbsp Filtered water or Distilled water
- 4 tsp Xylitol (optional, for taste and anti-cavity properties)
- 20-25 drops Peppermint essential oil (optional, refreshing)
- Pinch of Himalayan Sea Salt powder (optional, for taste and some minerals)
- 6-8 drops of Tea Tree oil (optional, antibacterial)
- 30-40 drops Trace Minerals (optional, helps with teeth remineralization)
- 1/4 tsp Menthol (optional, extra refreshing and cooling properties)
- Boil and cool the filtered water.
- Mix Xylitol and Menthol with 8 tablespoons of boiled and cooled filtered water. Mix and let them dissolve.
- Put 4 tablespoons of Bentonite clay to a glass or ceramic bowl. Add water mixture. Add salt and trace minerals. Blend everything with an immersion blender with stainless steel head. Scrape off the clay from the blender blades carefully when done blending.
- Add essential oils to the clay mixture and mix with a stainless steel spoon.
- You can transfer the paste to 4 oz glass jar or 4 oz silicone tube.
Enjoy your natural and non-toxic homemade toothpaste!