This post covers main factors contributing to flu and provides some natural and effective home remedies against first symptoms of flu and colds. The post is for general information purposes only, so do not forget to consult with your healthcare practitioner.
MAIN FACTORS CONTRIBUTING TO FLU
Due to my research, there are several factors that may weaken the immune system and contribute to flu, but these are the main:
- Vitamin D deficiency.
Vitamin D plays a very important role in body’s immune system strength. It activates the immune system and helps T-cells to fight off infections. Vitamin D deficiency may not only contribute to flu, but also linked to other diseases like depression, cancer, heart diseases, autoimmune diseases, and others. (source).
- Not consuming enough fermented foods or probiotics.
It is very important to maintain healthy gut flora to have a strong immune system as 80% of the immune system lies in gastrointestinal tract. The best source of beneficial bacteria is fermented foods. One serving of fermented vegetables is equal to one entire bottle of high-potency probiotic supplement (source).
- Eating lots of processed foods, sugars, grains.
Sugars, grains and similar carbohydrates feed pathogenic microorganisms in your gut and body and make you prone to diseases.
- Chronic stress.
Chronic stress and insufficient sleep may weaken the immune system.
- Passive lifestyle and not exercising.
Staying active improves the circulation of immune system cells. The better they circulate, the more defense they provide and neutralize pathogens throughout the body.
- Not washing hands regularly.
Regular hand washing can help protect you from spreading illnesses at home or work. It is a good idea making it a habit. Washing hands immediately when coming home from outside, before meals, after meals, after using the restroom, etc is essential.
HOME REMEDIES FOR COLD AND FLU
Home remedies for early signs of flu:
- Vitamin D. Dr.Mercola recommends taking vitamin D in 50000 units a day for three days when you are coming down with first flu-like symptoms.
- Hydrogen Peroxide. Administering a few drops of 3% Hydrogen peroxide into each ear may help cure colds and flu in 12-14 hours due to Dr.Mercola. First, put a few drops in one ear and let it bubble away, then put in another ear. Do not use if you have broken eardrum and do not use it too often. After doing the Hydrogen Peroxide treatment, drop one or two drops of a warm calming organic oil like olive oil into the ear to avoid dryness.
- Vitamin C. Take several grams every hour until you get better. Stop when you develop a loose stool. Use natural sources as possible. Dr.Axe suggests 1000mg of Vitamin C 3-4 times a day. I mix vitamin C powder with Manuka honey (in 1:2 proportion) and take 1/2-1 tsp every hour.
- Black seed oil. Black seed oil strengthens the immune system and works as a natural antibiotic. Take 1 tsp in the morning (adult dose). Not recommended during pregnancy.
- Garlic. Chop raw non-irradiated garlic and breath the fumes first, then swallow it together with food when you notice first signs of sickness. I like eating garlic with fresh tomatoes and sea salt.
- Chicken soup.
- Ginger tea with raw honey.
- Hot tea (or hot water) with lemon, honey, and cinnamon.
- Echinacea. Drink Echinacea tea or consume 1000mg of Echinacea 2-3 times a day. (source)
- Elderberry. Take 10 ml of Elderberry syrup daily. (source)
- Wild Oregano oil. Take 500 mg 2 times a day (source). I put 1 drop of Wild Oregano oil in a 1 oz of water, drink it, then immediately drink 1 cup of plain water over it with some honey. Make sure you buy real wild oregano oil with high carvacrol, not just oregano oil. Never(!) use it undiluted.
- Zinc. Take 50-100 mg of high-quality Zinc supplement daily. (source)
- Essential oils. Rub diluted peppermint and frankincense essential oils, clove oil, or wild oregano oil to the neck and bottom of the feet. Mix 12 drops (~0.6 ml) of essential oil of your choice in 1 oz (30 ml) of cold-pressed carrier oil (coconut oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, etc) to achieve 2% dilution. Rub black seed oil to the back of the neck.