DMSO is an abbreviation for Dimethyl Sulfoxide and it is a 100% natural substance. Every tree has Dimethyl Sulfoxide in it and the substance is extracted by the paper industry. It is a colorless liquid which freezes at the temperature of 68 F. When applied to the skin Dimethyl Sulfoxide penetrates deep into tissues and will carry anything applied together into the bloodstream in seconds (which makes it powerful!).
DMSO is rich in sulfur and sulfur is a major building block of collagen. Billions of people worldwide have used DMSO for pain relief, stroke, toothaches, acne, head injuries, headaches, burns, hemorrhoids, treating scars, arthritis, and many other ailments. It has been documented as a safe substance for long-term use, however, it is not approved for medical use in the USA and sold as a solvent only. You can read more about Dimethyl Sulfoxide here.
The below information is for research purposes only and not intended to diagnose or cure any disease.
DMSO (Dimethyl Sulfoxide): how to use, safety and handling
Dimethyl Sulfoxide is a 100% natural product which is documented as a safe substance. However, some precautions are needed when using it. It may irritate and wrinkle the skin if handled improperly. It carries different kinds of molecules through the skin when applied together. This means you need to handle dimethylsulfoxide with care using clean instruments and tools, pay attention to the substances you apply to the skin together with dimethylsulfoxide. DMSO is non-toxic and 7 times safer than aspirin.
Here are general safety rules about handling dimethylsulfoxide:
- Do NOT use DMSO when pregnant, planning pregnancy or nursing.
- Eye damage in laboratory animals has not been confirmed, however, avoid contact with eyes to be on a safe side.
- Dilute it with distilled water prior to use. 50%-70% dilution is often suggested. Fair-skinned people should use precautions with the strength they use as they are more prone to skin irritations. It is best to begin with 50% dilution.
- When DMSO is applied to the skin and is still wet do not come in contact with any substance or clothing. Let it penetrate and dry for about 20 minutes.
- Use gloves when applying DMSO to the skin to avoid temporary skin wrinkling on the palm. Soak the tip of your glove in DMSO for 24 hours and see if any damage occurred. If there is no damage, you can use those gloves to apply DMSO on your skin.
- Use clean or sterile bottles and mixing equipment.
- Temporal skin irritation, redness, itching, wrinkling of the palm may occur when not diluted properly. These kinds of irritations disappear within hours. Wrinkling will disappear within a few days (which can be avoided by proper dilution and using gloves as stated above).
- A very few people with weak liver may react to DMSO. First, test for DMSO allergy by rubbing a drop of DMSO to clean and dried arm allowing to soak for 15 minutes. Watch for pain in the liver for the next 24 hours. If you have a pain in the liver area avoid using DMSO and improve liver function before using it. Cleanse your liver and retest for DMSO allergy. If there is no pain, then DMSO is safe to use.
- If using bare hands to apply, do not wear nail polish.
- You can wear a plastic bag (sandwich bag) to apply DMSO to skin. Test the plastic bag first same as testing gloves described above.
- Use chemical-free soap to wash application areas and hands before applying DMSO.
DMSO compatibility with plastics and what kind of jars, sprayers to use
Can DMSO be stored in plastic? Well, yes, but not all plastic types are compatible with DMSO. It is okay to use the below-listed types of plastic.
Dimethyl Sulfoxide is non-reactive to these types of plastic:
- PETE (1)
- HDPE (2)
- LDPE (4)
- PP (5)
These containers are safe to use with dimethylsulfoxide:
- Glass containers
- Glass jars
- Stainless steel
- Wooden containers
- Rigid plastic in the form of spray bottles. A rigid-plastic is a hard plastic that exhibits no elastic deformation.
Of course, it is best to buy DMSO in a glass bottle and keep it in glass.
- Lead-free glass spray bottles: 2 Empty Blue Glass Spray Misters – 4oz
Side effects of DMSO
Possible adverse reactions from DMSO:
- Garlic odor from the body. It will decrease over time with constant use as body detoxifies.
- Nausea and decreased blood pressure if taken orally in large doses.
- May cause the lense to be more near-sighted, but could improve eyesight for farsighted people. (source)
- Skin irritation, itching if more than 70% DMSO. The reaction can be lessened if mixed with Aloe vera juice.
Recipes with DMSO: how to dilute and how to mix
I collected all the recipes below from different sources like reviews, books, articles, blogs. I did not test them on myself so I don’t know if they work or not. This information is for research purposes only and not intended to treat or prevent diseases. The list will be updated regularly.
Maximum 24-hour cumulative oral dose: 1 ml per kg (1 teaspoon per 10 pounds). (source)
Important: Make sure to maintain normal hydration when using DMSO.
How to Dilute DMSO
You will often need to dilute DMSO with distilled water prior to use. 50%-70% dilution is often suggested. Fair-skinned people should use precautions with the strength they use as they are more prone to skin irritations. It is best to start with 50% dilution.
Use clean or sterile bottles and mixing equipment.
- 1M DMSO solution recipe. Mix 8.6 ml of Dimethyl Sulfoxide with 91.4 ml of distilled water.
- 50% DMSO solution. Mix distilled water with Dimethyl Sulfoxide in 1:1 ratio and add a small amount of MSM.
- DMSO in a roller bottle. Mix Dimethyl Sulfoxide and pure organic carrier oil in a glass roller bottle.
- DMSO solution with less side-effects (for less body odor, itching, bad breath, etc). Mix it with magnesium chloride solution and/or organic raw honey.
DMSO Recipes for Pain Management
- Muscle pain relief. Mix 1 oz of Dimethyl Sulfoxide and about 3 oz of aloe vera or jojoba oil in a spray bottle. Add a couple of drops of organic peppermint essential oil and menthol. Spray on stiff muscles for instant relief. Make sure your skin is clean before spraying.
- Pain relief (joint pain, arthritis, strains, and others). Mix organic Castor oil with Dimethyl Sulfoxide in 1:1 ratio. Make sure that hands and the skin are clean before applying the mixture. Apply a few times a week or as needed.
- Spinal Stenosis Pain Relief. Mix Dimethyl Sulfoxide with distilled water in 2:1 ration. Make sure that hands and the skin are clean before applying the mixture. Apply to the painful area with a clean cotton cloth. Rub for 5 minutes, re-wet the cloth 2-3 times with the solution. It may itch for 3-5 minutes.
- Intense headache. Apply to clean forehead and temples for fast relief. Use diluted (%30-%50 DMSO mixed with 70%-%50 distilled water). Use clean fingers to apply. Due to Ogden (1967) a 90% solution is more effective, which may give burning sensation for several minutes.
- Hemorrhoids. Apply a 70% solution to the affected area for quick pain relief.
- Bee/wasp stings. Immediately apply to the affected area to stop the pain.
- Broken Toe. Immediately apply Dimethyl Sulfoxide and do it so every hour. Mix DMSO with magnesium oil and apply that too.
- Pain management mixture. 50% DMSO solution mixed with 50% Arnica Montana gel with the addition of some aloe vera and coconut oil to be highly effective in almost instantly alleviating pain from sore muscles from over-exercising or bring about instant relief from joint, back or arthritic pain or discomfort.
- Knee pain. Rub a drop or 2 of Peppermint Essential Oil on the knee, followed by rubbing some 100% DMSO gel, followed by rubbing Emu Oil. The combination is FANTASTIC!!!!! Emu oil is one of the only agents to penetrate all layers of the skin like DMSO does. The Peppermint Essential Oil has a cooling effect and the smell is pure bliss.
DMSO Recipes for Skin conditions
- Antibiotics for cuts and scrapes. Mix Dimethyl Sulfoxide with Iodine or Iodide in 1:1 ratio.
- Acne treatment. Mix Dimethyl Sulfoxide with Aloe vera juice (or distilled water) in 7:3 ratio. Use as a spot treatment.
- Bruises and swelling. Apply diluted (or 90%) Dimethyl Sulfoxide to the affected area quickly and the swelling goes down in minutes and may help with bruising in couple days (or even overnight). Apply 2-4 times a day.
- Poison Ivy blisters. Apply diluted Dimethyl Sulfoxide on the affected area. Most of the blisters be gone in a few days (or overnight).
- Burns. Apply a %50-%100 solution quickly to the affected area to ease the pain and diminish scarring.
- Toenail fungus. Use it with pure tea tree oil.
- Raised scar. Use %50-%80 diluted Dimethyl Sulfoxide 2-3 times a day.
- Inflamed lymph node. Apply 50% diluted solution.
- Varicose veins. Apply diluted solution to the affected area. Make sure the skin is clean.
- Skin allergies, Insect bites, Poison Ivy-Sumac-Oak. Oral dose: 0.10 ml per kg (if serious, up to 1.0 ml/kg). Additional therapy: Vitamin A, E, Omega-3 – mix with topical mixture at least 24 hours after starting oral therapy. (Source: Dr. Harlow)
- Skin infections (bacterial and fungal). Topical mixture: DMSO + Colloidal silver (50:50) every 6-8 hours. Oral dose: 0.10 ml of DMSO+Colloidal silver (50:50) per kilogram (if serious up to 1.0 ml/kg). Additional therapy: Mix Vitamin A, E, L-lysine, Omega-3 with topical mixture, at least 24 hours after starting oral therapy. (Source: Dr. Harlow)
- Trauma (to prevent bruising, swelling, stops pain). Topical mixture: 10% alpha-tocopherol acetate (Vit E) & 90% DMSO applied topically EVERY 8-12 HOURS. Oral dose: 0.10 ml of DMSO+Colloidal silver (50:50) per kilogram (if serious up to 1.0 ml/kg). Adjunct therapy: Take Vitamin A, E, Omega-3 orally. Always use Colloidal silver with penetrating wounds, see 13.
- Penetrating Wounds. According to Dr.Harlow, Colloidal silver is very effective at killing Clostridium spores and any other bacteria that might get carried into the wound. He suggests applying colloidal silver mixed 50-50 with DMSO to the wound every 6-12 hours and taking a 50-50 CS/DMSO orally at approximately 1 mL per kilogram or .5 ML per pound every 6-12 hours (use more frequently with more severe wounds).
- Burns, including sunburn (helps prevent blisters, pain and skin death). Topical mixture: 10% alpha-tocopherol acetate (Vit E), 30% CS & 60% DMSO applied topically EVERY 4-12 HOURS DEPENDING ON BURN SEVERITY. Oral dose: 0.10 ml of DMSO+Colloidal silver (50:50) per kilogram (if serious up to 1.0 ml/kg). Adjunct therapy: Vitamin A, E, Colloidal Silver, and Omega-3 can make up to 40%of the topical mixture. (Source: Dr. Harlow)
- CALCINOSIS CUTIS. Topical: 70% cream every 8-24 hours. Oral dose: 0.10 ml of DMSO+Colloidal silver (50:50) per kilogram (if serious up to 1.0 ml/kg). Adjunct therapy: 30% of the topical cream can be a combination of Vitamin A, E, Colloidal silver, and Omega-3. (Source: Dr. Harlow)
- Decubital Ulcers, Pressure sores, Diabetic ulcers. Topical: 70% cream every 8-12 hours. 30% of the topical cream can be a combination of Vitamin A, E, Colloidal silver, and Omega-3; mix with topical mixture at least 24 hours after starting oral therapy. (OR: 70% DMSO + 25% Colloidal silver + 5% vitamin E). The oral dose (can be helpful if ulcers are deep, otherwise not necessary): 0.10 ml of DMSO+Colloidal silver (50:50) per kilogram (if serious up to 1.0 ml/kg). (Source: Dr. Harlow)
- Severe skin necrosis caused by various venoms, or other severe ulceration and tissue breakdown. Topical mixture: 10% alpha-tocopherol acetate (Vitamin E), 40% Colloidal Silver & 80% DMSO applied topically every 6-12 hours. Oral dose: 0.10 ml of DMSO+Colloidal silver (50:50) per kilogram (if serious up to 1.0 ml/kg), with 1 gram L-lysine every 8-12 hours. Take vitamin A, E, Omega-3 orally. According to Dr.Harlow, this treatment is very effective, but again please do your own research.
- Herpes (HSV), Shingles. Topical mixture:10% alpha-tocopherol acetate (Vit E) & 90% DMSO applied topically every 8-12 hours. Oral dose: 0.10 ml of DMSO+Colloidal silver (50:50) per kilogram (if serious up to 1.0 ml/kg). Also take 1 gram of L-lysine tablet every 6-8 hours if shingles or human papillomavirus. (Source: Dr. Harlow)
- Keloid scars, raised scars. Applied topically and repeteadly, DMSO will flatten the raised scars. (source)
- Electrical burn. Immediately soak the finger or affected area in full-strength DMSO solution for 20 minutes. Immediate relief. (source)
- Severe varicose veins. Spray DMSO for at least 7 days to reduce swelling and pain. (source)
DMSO for Other Conditions
- Blocked sinuses. DMSO placed directly into the nostrils can open blocked sinuses in a few minutes. (source)
- Mental conditions. DMSO amino acid therapy can accelerate maturity, progress the language integration. DMSO amino acid therapy – intramuscular injection of the DMSO amino acid compound (DMSO + GABA + GABOB + Acetylglutamine), combined with daily oral administration of 1-3 capsules containing the DMSO compound. (Source (read more here): Morton Walker’s book “DMSO: Nature’s Healer”, chapter 10.)
DMSO Recipes for Eye health
- Macular degeneration. Topical mixture: 30% as an eye drop every 6-8 hours OR 30% DMSO with 10% Omega-3. Oral dose: Start with 5 ml and increase to 15 ml every 6-8 hours. Also, take mega doses of fish oil (Omega-3). (Source: Dr. Harlow).
- Macular degeneration. Per Dr.Morton Walter DMSO alone is better for macular degeneration. He recommends this: 5 mg of 2 cc DMSO with 5 mg of 2 cc SOD for 4 cc solution. (source)
- Cataracts. Dr. Robert Rowen, the editor of Second Opinion, has developed the following formula which uses DMSO a solvent that has an extremely high rate of tissue permeability. This helps the active ingredients Glutathione and Vitamin C to penetrate the eye. According to Dr. Rowen, cataracts can be reversed, and this is what he suggests doing: Have a pharmacy prepare the following formulation to be used three times a day. DMSO—30 percent, Vitamin C—1.25 percent, Glutathione—1.25 percent. Orally: take Liposomal Glutathione. (Source: Dr. Harlow)
- Cataracts and Glaucoma. One drop of a solution consisting of 25 mg DMSO with 2 cc of superoxide dismutase (SOD) once or twice a day. (source)
How to Make DMSO Gel, Cream, and Lotions
- DMSO Lotion Recipe. Mix 1 oz of Dimethyl Sulfoxide with 3 oz Aloe vera gel.
- Amish Pain Relief Salve: 1/2 cup coconut oil, 2 teaspoons organic beeswax pellets (or chunks), 2 teaspoons camphor crystals or 5 drops camphor essential oil, 2 teaspoons menthol crystals or 5 drops peppermint essential oil, 5 drops eucalyptus essential oil, 1 teaspoon DMSO. Full recipe: Amish Pain Relief Salve Recipe with DMSO (coming soon)
DMSO better than Botox
- Better than Botox for face: Spray magnesium oil on a clean and washed face with closed eyes. Then spray a 99% DMSO. Do not mix magnesium oil with DMSO in a bottle, just spray Magnesium oil first, and then the DMSO. Do at night before sleep. This recipe is from Chris Savage.
Disclaimer: The information in this post (and all other posts including the comments on this website) is NOT intended as medical advice. The content is for information and research purposes only. I am not responsible for any misuse. Please, keep in mind, DMSO is not approved for human use by FDA. So, if you want to try the recipes, do it at your own risk. Please, do your own research. If you have questions, please check the information sources provided within the post. If you need medical advice, please consult your health care practitioner. Thank you!