MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is an organic sulfur compound that’s naturally derived during the earth’s rain cycle. MSM is 34% elemental sulfur by weight. Sulfur is found naturally in the human body. Sulfur is stored in every cell of the body.
MSM is present in rainwater, then it is absorbed by plants. MSM is naturally found in many foods like plants, algae, fruits, vegetables, and grains. However, unfortunately, MSM is depleted in plant foods because of glyphosates nowadays. MSM in plants is destroyed when foods are processed, heated, or dehydrated.
MSM detoxifies the body and increases blood circulation. MSM is an antioxidant that helps to clean the bloodstream and flush toxins trapped in our cells. It is also a foreign protein and free radical scavenger. In order to maintain good health, we need to supplement our diets with MSM, to enable the body to heal itself. The body uses what it needs, and after 12 hours will flush out any excess amounts.
Organic sulfur is a nutrient, a necessary part of natural chemical processes in the body and it should not be confused with sulfa-based drugs or sulfites. Sulfa or sulfites are forms of inorganic sulfur. Sulfa drugs are synthetic and they don’t occur naturally. They are used as antibiotics and may cause allergic reactions in some people.
Is MSM toxic?
Toxicity data shows that MSM is extremely safe and can be taken at high doses.
MSM is Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) approved substance and it’s well-tolerated by most individuals at dosages of up to 4 grams daily, according to journal Nutrients. Although toxicity studies have reported no observed adverse effects up to a level of 5 grams per kilo per day. (1)
According to Dr.Mercola, sulfur intolerance may be a sign of the toxicity in the body. When the body’s toxicity is reduced, sulfur-rich foods and substances may be added back into diet slowly.
How to boost Sulfur intake
How to boost Sulfur intake:
- Consume sulfur-rich foods: eggs, organ meats, seafood, nuts, cheddar cheese, green leafy vegetables, grass-fed cows milk, peaches, apricot, onions, and garlic.
- Supplement with MSM
- Take regular Epsom salt baths (Epsom salt consists of magnesium, sulfur, and oxygen)
- Epsom salt foot bath: 1 part Epsom salt and 2 parts water
Health Benefits of MSM
According to numerous studies, MSM has many health benefits:
1. Reduces joint pain, joint stiffness, and swelling: 1,200 mg of MSM for 12 weeks to decrease pain, stiffness, and swelling in joints(4).
4. Increases Glutathione levels (9).
7. May relieve allergy symptoms (14): a dose of 2,600 mg of MSM per day over 30 days reduced symptoms like itching, congestion, shortness of breath, sneezing and coughing in 50 people with allergic rhinitis (15).
8. Can boost the immune system: MSM effectively restored glutathione levels and reduced inflammatory markers in mouse cells that had been weakened with HIV proteins(16)
9. MSM improves skin health and complexion. MSM works together with Vitamin C to build new tissues. It helps even skin tone, decrease hyperpigmentation and age spots. MSM helps reduce inflammation, which can damage skin cells and cause premature aging like wrinkles. (17)
10. Reduces skin rosacea. In a study, MSM significantly improved redness, itching, inflammation, hydration and skin color in people with rosacea when applied to the skin(18).
11. May have cancer-fighting properties. MSM inhibits the growth of the stomach, esophageal, liver, colon, skin and bladder cancer cells (19, 20, 21, 22, 23). Another mouse study demonstrated that MSM inhibited the growth of human breast cancer cells (24).
Recipes with MSM
I collected the below information from various sources, and I personally did not try them all. I can’t provide clear sources for all of them. They may or may not work. So, please, do your own research if you want to try them. I’ll be updating the post by adding more recipes over time.
- Take MSM together with Vitamin C for better results, take MSM after meals.
- Better than Tylenol for joint pain: Some people take a teaspoon of MSM with a teaspoon of Ester C and say it works better than Tylenol for them for their joint pain.
- Soft tissue injury: 1/2 tsp of MSM twice a day together with vitamin C for 2+ days.
- MSM eye drops for eye health (helps with cataract, glaucoma, eye floaters; improves nutrient flow in the eyes, reduces inflammation): 8 oz demineralized water + 1/2-1 tsp Sea salt or Rock salt + 2 1/2 tsp MSM. Boil the water, add salt. Strain, then add MSM. Shake before each use. (Recipe source)
- MSM Gel to treat Acne scars and Hyperpigmentation: 1 level tablespoon MSM + 4 oz pure Aloe vera gel. Crush MSM in mortar and pestle down to a fine powder. Let MSM dissolve in aloe vera. Use after moisturizer. (Recipe source)
- MSM Lotion or Cream Recipe: 100 ml of your favorite water-based thick cream + 15 gr of MSM. Dissolve MSM in a small amount of hot distilled water. After it dissolves, mix it with your favorite cream using a whisk. Do not add more than 15 gr of MSM per 100 gr of cream or lotion, otherwise, it may get gritty. (Recipe source)
- Homemade MSM Cream from scratch: Melt 2 tsp coconut oil and 2 tsp emulsifying wax in a double boiler. Add 4 Tbsp of distilled water & mix. Add 2 tsp of MSM, stir until dissolved. Turn off the heat, let the cream cool. After it cools down, add your favorite essential oil. Use a whisk or hand mixer to blend the cream. Transfer the cream to a pump bottle using a ziplock bag (cut off the corner). (Recipe source)
- Hangover cure: If someone gets drunk, taking 1-2 Tbsp MSM with water will make one feel better and the hangover will be gone in a short time (approximately in 20 minutes). Taking MSM before drinking alcohol can make one very drunk though. (source)
- MSM against Parasites: MSM makes it hard for parasites to attach themselves on the walls of the intestines, so they get flushed out through the normal process of elimination. Start with 500 mg of MSM daily. After a week raise the amount to 1000 mg. Add 500 mg each week, until you reach 10 gr daily. This will fill up deficiencies in the body. Then reduce the amount to a maintenance level whatever works for your needs. Most people take 4000-8000mg (1-2 tsp) per day for maintenance. Always drink A LOT of water when starting taking MSM or when increasing the dose. (source)
- MSM to whiten the teeth: brush your teeth as usual, then brush again using MSM powder. Just dip your toothbrush in MSM powder and brush. Allow two weeks for noticeable results.
- MSM against snoring: MSM in a 16% water solution (100 ml water + 16 gr MSM) provides a significant reduction in snoring in 80% of humans.
How to take MSM?
If you are a first time user, start with 500 mg of pure MSM daily with meals. Drink lots of water with MSM. After a week raise the amount to 1000 mg. Add 500 mg each week, until you reach 10 gr daily. This will fill up deficiencies in the body. Then reduce the amount to a maintenance level whatever works for your needs. Once you have taken it a long time you will be able to take MSM without food. The recommended dosage is 2000 – 6000 mg per day (for 150 lb person). Always drink A LOT of water when starting taking MSM or when increasing the dose. MSM should be taken for at least 1-2 weeks and up to 2 months before you see any results.
Note: 2000 mg of MSM = 1/2 tsp, 4000 mg = 1 tsp, 6000 mg = 1.5 tsp
Take vitamin C together with MSM. Take 1000 mg of vitamin C for each teaspoon (4000mg) of MSM taken up to a maximum of 3000 mg of vitamin C. Ester-C is a recommended brand for Vitamin C because it’s not acidic, and more bioavailable than regular ascorbic acid.
If you are unable to take vitamin C, MSM alone will still work. Adding vitamin C can enhance recovery, but it’s not a must for MSM to work better.
If you are pregnant or lactating it’s better not to take MSM as a supplement. Clinical experience shows that MSM is safe for pregnant women, however, MSM causes rapid detox, which causes toxins to flush through the bloodstream, which is undesirable during pregnancy and lactation. Consult with your doctor before taking any supplements during pregnancy and lactation.
Disclaimer: The above information is my personal notes, and not medical advice. If you have any questions, please consult with your doctor.