This beet and cabbage red soup is delicious and healthy, which is also kid-approved!
The beets may lose their color when cooked too long or cooked incorrectly, so it is very important to follow the cooking instructions.
Beet and Cabbage Soup
- 2 lbs of Meat (lean or with bones) – I used lamb with bones
- 1 lb (500 gr) of Potatoes
- 200 gr of Onions
- 300 gr of Cabbage
- 400 gr of Red Beets
- 200 gr of Carrots
- 3 Tbsp of Tomato paste
- 2-3 Garlic cloves
- 2-3 Bay leaves
- Juice of a half Lemon
- 1 tsp of Apple cider vinegar (optional)
- Pink sea salt or Celtic sea salt (to taste)
- Black Peppers (to taste)
- Cooking oil (Coconut oil or ghee)
- Greens for garnish
How to make beet and cabbage red soup:
- Make a broth by simmering the meat in water for 90 minutes (1 and half hours). Bring the water with meat to a boil, remove the foam formed on the top, add little salt and pepper, reduce the fire to the lowest, cover the lid, and set the timer for 90 minutes.
- When the broth is ready, get the meat out and remove the bones. Cut the meat into smaller cubes or chunks.
- Add the meat back to the broth.
- Chop the onions.
- Grate the carrots using the large grater or julienne them.
- Chop the cabbage into thin stripes.
- Chop the beets into thin sticks or julienne them. I used a mandolin slicer with a julienne blade.
- Put some cooking oil into a skillet ( I use this cast iron skillet) and saute the beets on medium fire for about 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar to the beets. Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar help retain the bright red color of the beets. You can use only lemon juice if you wish. The original recipe calls for 1 tsp of distilled vinegar (6%), which I try to avoid in my food.
- Add the tomato paste to the beets. Add some water if the paste is too thick.
- Cover the lid and braise for 5 minutes.
- In a separate skillet saute the onions in a little oil. Add carrots and saute together. Turn of the heat when the carrots soften.
- Cut the potatoes into 3-4 cm cubes.
- Put potatoes into the boiling broth with meat.
- When the broth comes to a boil after adding potatoes, add the chopped cabbage. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the sauteed beets to the broth. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add onions and carrots.
- Add bay leaves, check the salt and add if not enough. Add some ground black peppers to taste.
- Press the garlic using a garlic press into the soup.
- Turn off the heat and let the soup stay covered for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with chopped greens (dill, cilantro) and sour cream to taste.