Shilajit is a sticky tar-like black substance which forms as a result of a long process of breaking down plant matter and minerals.
Pure Shilajit contains 85+ minerals in ionic form including gold and silver. It usually consists of 60-80% organic matter, 20-35% mineral matter, and 5% trace elements. The primary component of shilajit is fulvic acid, which is a powerful antioxidant.
Shilajit (Moomiyo, mumujo) has been known as a natural rejuvenator of the body for thousands of years.
Shilajit health benefits
Studies show that shilajit has many health benefits:
- increases the testosterone level;(1)
- may prevent or slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease;(2)
- may reduce symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome improving energy levels;(3)
- slows the aging process, protects against free radicals and cellular damage; (4)
- fights iron deficiency anemia;(5)
- aids in male fertility by increasing the sperm count and motility;(6)
- may improve heart health;(7)
- regulates hormones and immune system;(8, 9)
- helps bones regenerate; (10, 11)
- aids in breaking addictions. (12, 13)
How to Take Shilajit (Moomiyo)
The recommended daily dose of shilajit for adults is 300 to 500 mg per day
? Dissolve a portion the size of a grain of rice or a pea size of shilajit resin in liquid and drink 1-3 times a day. You can also take shilajit powder twice a day with milk. (source: Dr.Axe)
? It’s best to take shilajit in the morning on an empty stomach. Take for 10 days, then take a break for 5-10 days. Repeat the cycle 3-4 times.
If shilajit is in solid resin form, then 1/3 size of a green pea equals to about 150-170 mg of shilajit.
1 rice grain size of solid resin shilajit equals to 100 mg of shilajit.
Shilajit resin size and amount:
- 1 green pea size solid shilajit resin – 500 mg;
- 1 rice grain size solid shilajit resin – 100 mg;
- 1/16 teaspoon shilajit powder – 150 mg.
Soft resin shilajit or liquid shilajit serving sizes can vary depending on how soft or diluted they are.
How to Make Shilajit Taste Better?
? Soft or liquid shilajit resin can be mixed with honey which makes it taste like coffee.
? You can reduce the taste by swallowing frozen pieces of shilajit with water. Take a small amount out with the point of a knife and form into little balls on parchment paper. Freeze the balls and put them into a container after they have frozen. Store the container with balls in the freezer. Every morning put one ball of shilajit in your mouth and drink it down with water. Make half pea sized balls to get 250 mg of shilajit from each.
Where to get Shilajit?
Shilajit is sold in different forms: solid, soft resin, liquid, or powder.
How to test shilajit for purity:
- Pure shilajit easily dissolves in water and leaves no residue. If it doesn’t dissolve or mix well with water, then it’s not pure.
- Pure shilajit doesn’t dissolve in alcohol.
- Pure shilajit doesn’t burn when it comes in contact with flame. It starts bubbling and produces an ash like substance at the end.
- Shilajit holds its form, can melt in hand, can become sticky.
- Pure shilajit becomes very hard in the refrigerator.
Shilajit is not easy to handle. It sticks everywhere. When it’s dry, it can be hard as a rock. So the easiest way is adding some liquid to it and melting it. As mentioned above, pure shilajit completely dissolves in water.
Where to get shilajit: