Delicious and nourishing combination of soaked quinoa and coconut flour!
My 3 year old little one loves this flatbread. I love it too. It has a soft pleasant texture if you make it thicker, crispy if you make it thinner. You can use it as a healthier pizza crust but we love it more as a flatbread. Very satisfying and filling.
Quinoa is considered a super food and is very nutritious. It is gluten free and very high in protein, has all the essential amino acids we need, has a low glycemic index, high in minerals, loaded with antioxidants, and tastes good! Cooked quinoa has a mild nutty flavor.
1 cup of cooked quinoa provides about 8 grams of Protein, 5 grams of Fiber, Manganese (58% of the recommended daily value (RDA), Magnesium (30% RDA), Phosphorus (28% RDA), Folate (19% RDA), Copper (18% RDA), Iron (15% RDA), Zinc (13% RDA), Potassium (9% RDA), Vitamins B1, B2 and B6 (over 10% RDA), Calcium, B3 and Vitamin E. (Source)
Coconut flour is also gluten free, rich in dietary fiber, high in beneficial fats, and very high in protein. 100 grams of coconut flour contains about 19.3 grams of protein (38% of the RDA).
- 1 cup of Quinoa
- 1 cup of warm Water
- 1 tsp of Apple cider vinegar, whey, lemon juice, kefir, or kombucha (for soaking)
- Soaked Quinoa
- 1/2 cup of filtered water
- 2 Tbsp of Coconut flour
- 2 tsp of dried Basil
- 1 tsp of Sea Salt
- 2 Tbps of extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Coconut oil, lamb fat, or ghee
- Mix quinoa, warm water and apple cider vinegar. Leave the mixture at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Put 2 clean cast-iron skillets into the oven.
- Rinse the quinoa using clean water for several times. It is important to rinse it really well to avoid bitter aftertaste.
- Blend rinsed and washed quinoa, 1/2 cup of water, sea salt and basil.
- Add coconut flour. Blend.
- Add olive oil. Blend.
- Take the hot pan out of the oven. Grease the pan/griddle with some coconut oil, lamb fat, or ghee.
- Pour half of the blended mixture to the hot greased pan.
- Put into the hot preheated oven.
- Repeat with the second pan.
- Set the timer to 11-13 minutes.
- Flip the flatbread and bake the other side for 2-3 minutes.
- Let it cool.
Recipe courtesy of The Nourishing Gourmet