I promise you, this is probably the best tasting quinoa flatbread ever! This soaked quinoa flatbread can serve as an excellent healthy homemade pizza crust too. Just spread some olive oil over your flatbread, spread some tomato sauce or organic ketchup, and your favorite cheese! Put it back into the oven until the cheese on top melts. Yum!! My picky eaters devour this soaked quinoa pizza in one sitting. And they feel awesome and happy afterward the whole day. This is must be the magic of healthy food!
This soaked quinoa flatbread or pizza crust is a delicious and nourishing combination of soaked quinoa and coconut flour!
My 3-year-old little one loves this flatbread (Update: now he is 5, and still loves it). I love it too. It has a soft pleasant texture if you make it thicker, crispy if you make it thinner. You can use it as a healthier soaked quinoa pizza crust but we also love it as a healthy flatbread. Very satisfying and filling. I am not kidding, you need to try this recipe! Even better, make a pizza using this soaked quinoa flatbread!
The superpower of this soaked quinoa flatbread or pizza crust: the ingredients
Quinoa is considered a super food and is very nutritious. It is gluten-free and very high in protein, has all the essential amino acids we need, has a low glycemic index, high in minerals, loaded with antioxidants, and tastes good! Cooked quinoa has a mild nutty flavor.
I would use white organic quinoa for this recipe to make it appealing for children’s eyes, but the color of the quinoa doesn’t affect the taste.
1 cup of cooked quinoa provides about 8 grams of Protein, 5 grams of Fiber, Manganese (58% of the recommended daily value (RDA), Magnesium (30% RDA), Phosphorus (28% RDA), Folate (19% RDA), Copper (18% RDA), Iron (15% RDA), Zinc (13% RDA), Potassium (9% RDA), Vitamins B1, B2 and B6 (over 10% RDA), Calcium, B3 and Vitamin E. (Source)
Coconut flour is also gluten-free, rich in dietary fiber, high in beneficial fats, and very high in protein. 100 grams of coconut flour contains about 19.3 grams of protein (38% of the RDA).
Soaked Quinoa Shortbread or Pizza Crust
- 1 cup of Quinoa
- 1 cup of warm Water
- 1 tsp of Apple cider vinegar, whey, lemon juice, kefir, or kombucha (for soaking)
- Soaked Quinoa
- 1/2 cup of filtered water
- 2 Tbsp of Coconut flour
- 2 tsp of dried Basil
- 1 tsp of Sea Salt
- 2 Tbps of extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Coconut oil, lamb fat, or ghee
How to make soaked quinoa flatbread or pizza crust:
1. Mix quinoa, warm water, and apple cider vinegar. Leave the mixture at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 450F. Put 2 clean cast-iron skillets into the oven.
3. Rinse the quinoa using clean water for several times. It is important to rinse it really well to avoid bitter aftertaste.
4. Blend rinsed and washed quinoa, 1/2 cup of water, sea salt, and basil.
5. Add coconut flour. Blend.
6. Add olive oil. Blend.
7. Take the hot pan out of the oven. Grease the pan/griddle with some coconut oil, lamb fat, or ghee.
8. Pour half of the blended mixture to the hot greased pan.
9. Put into the hot preheated oven.
10. Repeat with the second pan.
11. Set the timer to 11-13 minutes.
12. Flip the flatbread and bake the other side for 2-3 minutes.
13. Let it cool.
Want more healthy flatbread recipes?
Recipe courtesy of The Nourishing Gourmet