This fried liver recipe makes a delicious cooked liver which is soft and does not have a very livery aftertaste. The dish cooks in about 10 minutes, and makes a very nutritious meal.
No flour, no soaking in milk is used in this recipe.
Cooking liver can be tricky as it gets hard, too chewy and dry if not cooked correctly or if overcooked.
Fried Liver with Onions and Parsley (recipe)
→ When you start frying the liver, you should not get distracted so prepare all the ingredients beforehand. Wash them, chop them and make ready.
→ I always use fresh lamb’s liver
- 2 lb Liver & other organ meats like Heart and Kidneys (I used lamb’s liver)
- 1 big onion
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil (I used organic refined coconut oil, because it has no coconut taste)
- 1 bunch of Parsley
- Half of a lemon (about 2 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice)
- Black pepper
- Celtic sea salt (or any salt you want to use)
1.Remove the thin outer film on the liver on both sides. To do that put the liver to a deep bowl and pour over some hot boiling water. Boiling water makes the outer film easy to remove.
2. Cut the liver to about 3 cm x 3 cm cubes. You can add the kidneys and heart too.
3. Chop the onion.
4. Chop the parsley.
5. Make the lemon ready to squeeze or squeeze the lemon and make the lemon juice ready.
6. Put the cast iron skillet on a stove and set the fire on high. Put 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil in the skillet.
7. When the oil gets hot, put the chopped onion in the skillet and fry it on a high heat. Mix constantly.
8. When the onion is soft and light brown, add the liver and other organ meats (kidneys and heart). Make sure the fire/heat is still set on high (important).
9. Do not stop mixing for 4 minutes. Do not add any spices yet.
10. After the liver is fried on a high heat for about 4 minutes, add the chopped parsley, lemon juice, sprinkle some black peppers, add the salt.
11. Reduce the heat to low. Let it cook for about 6 more minutes on the low heat. Do NOT cover the skillet. Mix every 30 seconds.
12. Turn off the heat. Please, keep in mind that the liver will still continue to cook even after you turn off the heat. So do not delay. If you overcook, the liver gets hard and dry.
13. Cut one of the liver pieces and see if there is no blood coming out. If you see some blood, turn on the highest heat and cook for about 15-30 seconds. Turn off the heat, but do not stop mixing.
14. Serve with fresh chopped onions. Sprinkle the chopped onions with some organic apple cider vinegar.